About Me

My photo
"I believe that there are semblances between seemingly disparate ideas, . . . if we can stand back and see a larger picture." Terry Tempest Williams

Jul 21, 2008

Train Travel

Traveling on Amtrak's Coast Starlight from San Jose to Klamath Falls , I am reminded of a Gene Kelly movie I recently checked out of the library.

Struck by the fact that in the movie all the passengers are white and ALL the baggage handlers are African American, I stare at the screen in astonishment and chuckle with embarrasment.

But here I am on a train in 2008 sitting for dinner and lo and behold all the servers, dressed in smart, pressed uniforms are . . .

1 comment:

  1. so impressive--i keep trying to explain to freddy why i need internet on my cell phone- thank you for providing yet another reason!

    i'll be following the blog- have a wonderful time

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive